Thursday, May 03, 2007

I've bee Tagged!

I've been tagged by the wonderful and very talented karla Dudley to write about 7 totally random facts about myself....so here goes!

1 ~ I am in fact black! African-American, call it how you see fit! I am light-skinned so I get weird puzzled questions sometimes...my family is a cool mix of Caribbean (Jamaican/Bajan), Black Canadian (not Nova Scotian), Dutch and somewhere in the mix Black Sicilian this is all courtesy of my mother! On my father's side we have good ole Irish and French Canadian...although he swears he's just Irish! Often times people just can't put their finger on my ethnicity, I get the whole Spanish thing ( Dominican in particular) a lot....even Moroccan....but nope I'm born and raised in a Caribbean/Canadian atmosphere and that's what I am, a crazy hybrid...but altogether happy to say I'm a proud black Sistren! Yah Mon.

2 ~ I have a deep connection to Jamaica, far before I got to visit it for myself I dreamed of it. Especially the ocean surrounding it. I remember being 12 and getting on the computer for the first time and trying out the Internet on some free AOL type ish (lol you done know what I'm talkin' about!) and signing up for a free catalogue from Sandals Resorts...Boy oh Boy when that catalogue came in, it became my bible! I dog eared it so much just flipping the pages and dreaming of "home". that's what it felt like to me. HOME. Flash forward some years later when my DH (a born and raised Jacan)brought me there and we stepped off the plane. The sense of belonging, the smell of the sea, the heat, the smell of the spices and flowers in the air...the smell of the red earth filled my senses and I was in heaven. Nothing compares to that feeling....and the feeling of swimming in the sea and just floating...ahhhhh.....I love Jamaica.
Years later we now have built our dream Villa there and that in itself is a dream come true for me. Blessed.

3 ~ I have always been artistic. I remember always winning competitions growing up in school and such. I love painting, drawing, sewing, knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, cooking, cake decorating...you name it if I can make it with my bare hands I'm into it! A total do it yourself kind of woman. I'm constantly thinking of stuff to create, stuff to make, brainstorming ideas...in fact I call myself the Idea Generator...I just can't shut it off. (which can be a pain when you are trying to fall asleep) LOL
I love creating, it just feeds my soul. That rush of exhilaration and pride when I've created something that is perfect to me is just incredible. I love that my DS Ashanti is also very artistic, this is a bond that we share that enables me to really "get" him.

4 ~ I can be very erratic in my energy levels....I've been known to have frequent bouts of insomnia...a trait inherited from my father...that finds me up at all hours of the night....cooking, baking, scrapbooking, cleaning, etc... Took awhile for my DH to get used to this when we first moved in together...
I especially get this way when I am upset and angry...I feel the need to clean. Hmmmm...wonder if this is why DH makes himself a pain sometimes...maybe he just wants me to clean more...;)

sidenote. My need to be constantly tidying up drives my friends nuts at times...who by the way call me.....

5 ~ The black Martha Stewart because I love to craft, cook, bake and throw parties complete with theme's and homemade deco and loot bags, etc...
I personally love this title as I *heart* me some Martha! I've often wanted to go into event planning for this very reason...I just love it, it's a strong passion of mine. So much so that it is my ultimate dream to host events (scrapbook retreats and tours) out of my villa in Jamaica. This would tie in all my passions into one beautiful dream come true.

6 ~ Before going into Fashion Design and then subsequently Fashion Marketing I dreamt of being a Oceanographer...because of my love of the sea and everything in it. Then I thought about becoming a Chef because I am passionate about cooking and baking.... finally settling for the glamorous (not!) Fashion Industry...

7 ~ I've always felt connected to ancient Egypt so much so that I have the Egyptian goddess Kasmet also known as Bast tattooed on my back, right between my shoulder blades. I love this tattoo, especially because I designed it! I also love mermaids....I used to pretend I was one while bathing or swimming when I was a child. Which leads me to my love of fantasy. Merlin, witches, fairies, you name it I love it! I love mysticism. The unknown, the make-believe. the magic.

So that's it, 7 random facts about myself...now to tag some unsuspecting friends....hehehe....

Ahhh it would seem a lot of them have been tagged already! lets see who's left...
OK I tag Elisabeth at http://elisabeth-workofheart.blogspot.com/, Veronica at http://a-day-in-the-life-of-sweet-pea.blogspot.com/
and anybody else who happens to lurk or stumble onto my humble work in progress....
Here are the Rules:
Each player starts with 7 random facts/habits about themselves. People who are tagged need to write on there own blog about their seven things, as well as these rules. Don't forget to leave a comment telling them that they have been tagged and to read your blog!

1 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Ok, I've done it and passed the tag along! thanks for tagging me, it's fun to read everyone's facts!